DOUBLING FARMERS INCOME
The farming sector furnishing livelihood to majority of population of India and contribute to around 15% to the nation’s GDP. India has become a self sufficient food producing country with top producer of rice, wheat, sugarcane, fruits and vegetables etc. Farmers were , are and will always remain the backbone and controller of agriculture sector and national economy. But , the standards of farmers has not developed in that pace though. So , it is our imperative to ensure that farmer find agriculture as a profitable economic activity.
Majority of Indian farmers are small and marginal farmers. According to sources, the average income of a farmer family is around Rs 70000 to Rs 80000 per year. More than 20% of the farmers in India are BPL . Actual information are not published which makes it difficult to analyse the growth trend in income.
REASON FOR THIS SCENARIO
- Small landholdings:-
- Dependent on monsoon:-
- Poor mechanism:-
- Poor storage:-
INITIATIVE SCHEMES FOR DOUBLING INCOME
Aim is to double the real income of farmer and not nominal income. Due to stagnancy in availability of land , we have to increase productivity on that same piece of land.
- Pradhan Mantri krishi sinchai yojana:-
- Soil health card:-
- Crop diversification programme:-
- Pradhan mantri fasal bima yojana:-
- Pension of Rs3000:-
- Paramparagat krishi vikas yojana and rashtriya krishi vikas yojana:-
- Mega food park:-
OTHER ACTIVITIES TO HELP DOUBLE FARMERS INCOME
- Generate remunerative employment to make the farmers economically more secure
- Engender or set up raw materials for agroprocessing industries to support secondary agriculture also
- NITI aayog’s act of model land leasing , 2016 to promote pooling of agricultural land
- Model contract farming and services act which will come up with flexibility to states and union territories so that they can attract sponsors and marginal farmers to monitor and supervise contract farming
- Digitalisation of land revenue by PPP model(public-private partnership)
- Discarding the land agents to gain profit by buying and selling agriculture land
- Conversion of haats to rural level agri-market system
- Usage of microirrigation system for enhancing the RCT
- More emphasis on post harvesting operations will lead to more revenue generation for farmers
This target has to be achieved by 2022 for the upliftment and the betterment of farmers an improve their socio economic standards.